Sir John Bernard Pethica, Science Foundation Ireland (S.F.I.) professor of material science at Trinity College, Dublin, Chief Scientific Advisor at the UK's National Physical Laboratory, and a visiting professor at Oxford University. Pethica is most noted for his work on the development of nanoindentation and atom resolution atomic force microscopy.(born 1953) is
In October 2007, Pethica was made the Chief Scientific Advisor at the UK's National Physical Laboratory, the UK’s National Measurement Institute.
Honours and awards
In 1999, Pethica was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society (FRS). He has also served as Vice-President and Physical Secretary of the Royal Society. He was elected a Fellow of the Royal Academy of Engineering (FREng) in 2013. He was elected an honorary fellow of St Cross College, Oxford in 2014.
- "List of Fellows".
- "Sir John Pethica Elected to Honorary Fellowship". News. St Cross College, Oxford. Retrieved 9 November 2014.
- "Professor John Bernard Pethica". Institute of Physics. Retrieved 14 June 2014.
- "No. 60895". The London Gazette (Supplement). 14 June 2014. p. b2.
- "Oxford food bank founders made MBEs in Queen's Birthday Honours". BBC News. 14 June 2014.
- For example, recording with The Cambridge Crofters in the 1970s http://www.discogs.com/viewimages?release=3116333
- Homepage of John Pethica at Oxford
- Homepage of John Pethica at CRANN
- Chief Scientific Advisor : National Physical Laboratory